Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Midsummer Night's Dream- did I actually understand any of it?

I still feel awkward blogging about Shakespeare. I feel like Shakespeare would not approve of the idea of blogs.
I think what I need to do is sit down with an expert on Shakespeare and read A Midsummer Night's Dream again, line by line, so that I truly understand what I am reading. In just trying to sit down and read it, I went too fast to even begin to comprehend any of what I was reading. Even when I understood it word by word, I know that I didn't get anything out of it other than the superficial meaning and basic plot line. Of course there were editors' notes on the side of each page, but they only told me what specific words and phrases meant, not what they suggested on a deeper level. The problem with reading Shakespeare is that since the average reader doesn't understand Elizabethan English very well, we have to rely on editors and other experts to tell us what it means. This removes any chance we have of coming up with our interpretation. The language barrier makes us dependent on others to enlighten us, and there is no way for us to come up with our own meaning. When we read modern poetry, we at least understand what all of the words we are reading mean. Every person can read a modern poem, no matter how profound, and come up with their own meaning. When we read Shakespearean poetry and plays, we rely on the editor to give us the meaning, making it his or hers and not our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment