Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What is the author's dominant method of communication--dialogue, description, narration, exposition, inclusion of others' texts--?

How does the author's method of communication affect your relationship to the subject?
Willie Morris most often uses narration as his main method of communication. He tells little anecdotes about how cute his dog is or how smart he is or how faithful. It's cute, I guess, but I wouldn't really know because he doesn't hold my attention well enough. I read about a chapter and then realize that I haven't been paying any attention to what I was reading. Normally when that happens I go back and read it again. It's usually not the book's fault, its mine for drifting off. Sometimes I even consider it a good thing on the author's part; something he or she said triggers my brain to compare it to something in my life and off it goes in some sort of nonsensical adventure; it gives relevance to what I'm reading. But My Dog Skip doesn't do this. Willie Morris fails to make the initial connection in every story he tells about Old Skip. He doesn't hook the reader. So I keep reading for the sake of reading, never once considering the profoundness of anything he says. I have grown up with dogs, so you think I'd be able to relate to him. But he simply fails to make me care about Skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment