Sunday, August 23, 2009

Comment on the perspective from which the book is told and how the author's choice affects your relationship with the book's content.

On Agate Hill is written in the style of a diary. Its author is a thirteen-year-old girl, and it is obvious to me that I am reading something written by someone very young. She uses improper grammar and spelling sometimes, and it can be distracting. The more I read, however, the more used to the style I get. I think that the author tried to keep the language mildly authentic to the time period, which makes it even more difficult to understand. The author also doesn't use any sort of quotation marks or anything to distinguish between dialogue and the rest of the text. Somehow I haven't gotten terribly confused yet.
It is interesting to hear about the the end of the Civil War from the perspective of someone so young. She is not nearly as interested in the political stuff that an older person would be as she is in the marriage of her dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment